Skeletons in my closet

The silent running dialogue that I often have with myself.

Thursday, July 07, 2005

See what I see!

Very rarely do I get riled up these days. It seems as if maybe a little of everyday life has zapped some of my:
“I SAID WHAT I SAID,
AND I SAID WHAT I MEANT”

I will admit to being a little more lenient about issues that are hot button with me.

In other words as I was dealing with some of this history I was making for the last two weeks ole Mister Buk Buk reared his head.

SideNote: Mr. Buk Buk is a term similar to Ole Mister Charlie, or Boss Man depending on where you are from. It is the term associated with the slave master on a plantation, or the local control of the police system. Any white man in power recognized by them towel head Negroes!

You would be amazed to hear the negativity in their comments and attitudes when it comes to Blacks.

SideNote:
I still call us Black. I never really got into the whole African American thing; I really think Blacks are the epitome of the American Way of thinking. (More on that later)

Now at this point and can tell you guys without a doubt that I have experienced some hardcore bouts with the Greys and their way of thinking. But I scratched my head in writing this and realized that we are as much the victims as we are the culprits. So I changed my focus from them to us. I have experienced the severe effects of racism as a child and continue to deal with the new racism as an adult.

The new racism that has convinced our youth that it is okay…scratch that…cool that:
  • They practice ignorance, because only nerds and white boys do their schoolwork and excel academically, you might even end up talking white.
  • They pride themselves on looking slovenly and wear ill-fitting clothing.
  • They are more concerned with what you have and not who you are and what you are about; so advertise your worth/value on your arm, neck, feet, ass, or teeth.
  • It's okay for women to be just as aggressive as men even at the tender ages of twelve and fifteen. (Promiscuity) And if you get pregnant don’t worry mommy, grandmother, and Auntie will help, they’re not going to be mad.
  • A man measures his self esteem by the number of women he can impress, cajole, fool, trick, order, and take into his bed.
  • Al and Jessie represent all us black folk.
  • Women should be so proud of our god given bodies that we should be prepared to show them off in the most revealing way possible.

The New Racism that has convinced our adults that:

  • It is cool to be smart so you can distance yourself for other dumb niggas, and patronize others not as smart as you, oh and get a job working for some good white company.
  • It is socially acceptable to wear clothing that fits as long as it is a name brand that people can recognize.
  • It is really what you have not who you are and what you are about; so advertise your worth in the car you drive, the suit you wear, the restaurants you frequent, and the neighborhood you live in.
  • It is perfectly okay for women to raise that baby on your own, cause men are deadbeats and you can’t expect them to do right anyway. Besides I know a bunch of women who don’t have the father of their children in their lives.
  • It is okay for men to have random sexually partners without protection because we all have this understanding. Besides she don’t look sick. Hell if she gets pregnant I will pay for the abortion. If she don’t want the abortion then its on her.
  • It is okay for men to “handle their responsibility” in the form of a paycheck. Never having to be the daddy that the child needs. (don’t fool yourself, she wont let me is not an excuse!)
  • Al and Jessie represent all us Black Folk.
  • Women are so eager to find pleasure and acceptance that they settle, settle for average and then expect greatness.

The New Racism that has convinced our elders that:

  • Education is not the end, or the answer. Opportunity is what is lacking, and we must create our own opportunity.
  • All young people care about is status, money, and sex.
  • These young people are fools for calling themselves a hated word and then dressing the part.
  • That Al and Jessie represent all us black folk, and we really miss Malcom, and Martin, and Dubois…
  • I hope I wont have to spend my retirement years taking care of my grandchilds babies like I took care of my grandchild.

We are such a divided people. First it was the color of our skin. Then they divided us economically. Now the last frontier for division falls along the time line.

How could a group of people come through 400 years of oppression with our minds intact; only to fall victim to the very freedom we fought for.

Sometimes I just need to get it off my soul, the Soul that we Black folks Share.




9 Comments:

  • At 12:45 PM, Blogger Serenity23 said…

    I agree with a lot of this and I know that when I was in school, other blacks thought it was "stupid" to be concerned about college and careers, etc. However, I find myself of guilty of some of the New Racism items. But I will not believe that Al Sharpton is my damn representative.... That man irritates me to no end.

     
  • At 12:48 PM, Blogger Closet Owner said…

    Well truth be told, i fall for some of them too, but we grow, learn and move on.

     
  • At 1:27 PM, Blogger muffin said…

    i'll only leave a half a comment since i'm only half black.

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger SMW said…

    Did you write this?

     
  • At 7:47 AM, Blogger Closet Owner said…

    Uh Yes...I hope it did not offend... Sorry Muffin if I offened you or anyone, just an angry Diatribe that I had to get off my chest.

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger Call 2 Arms said…

    You said IT. Please publish this somewhere, email it as a chain letter. It is sooooo true we have fallen victim to our freedom.

     
  • At 9:34 AM, Blogger muffin said…

    no you didn't offend me. i could definitely relate. i guess i'm just more sensitive about it cuz my mother is from the philippine islands and her family had to go through a lot too. sometimes i think i have it bad, but no way... my PARENTS struggled. i'm hella spoiled out of this world!

     
  • At 9:04 AM, Blogger Bullet Proof Diva said…

    Call2arms sent me here and I am SO glad I read this..

    you have so many excellent points that I don't even know how to comment on it!! ...and you definitely inspired me to write about some of these issues...just wow!

    I will say that some people have a hard time drawing the parallel between slavery and the issues that prevade our community today..you seemed to capture it so effortlessly, I am very impressed.

     
  • At 11:54 AM, Blogger Gunner Kaufman said…

    I have serious issues with hiphop..but my man common had the best line of the year when he said..

    "WHY ARE WHIPS ANDS CHAINS THE NEW AMEICAN DREAMS"...

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home