Skeletons in my closet

The silent running dialogue that I often have with myself.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Size Matters

Watching GMA this morning, in between ESPN and NFL Access, and I noticed the chic Monique was giving an interview. Ya know that chick from “The Parkers”. Well her new claim to fame is hosting a beauty pageant with a twist. It is going to be a beauty pageant with all fat women.

SideNote: I spent 10 minutes trying to decide if I was going to say fat women or large, or heavy, or plus size. But if you saw it on TV this morning the wealth of those women fell in the fat category.
I have nothing against big girls. Been around that road before. Around that road.

Now I will tell you this much I know to be true. It just aint healthy. If you are big, you can be cute and sexy. But you can be subject to heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure. I think it is such a lie to suggest that fat people should feel comfortable being themselves. That is just being lazy, accepting, trifling.

I am on this little gym kick right now. It will probably last another month or two, just trying to cut some pounds, loose the gut. The problem is that I very rarely see young sisters in the gym. See sisters don’t realize that you fine from 15-26. If you don’t work it after that it will be thick (27-34) Then fat (34-on up).
I see plenty of white women in the gym, they all about getting fit. God did not give them what black women have naturally. So they go to the Stairmaster, treadmill, squats, lunges… anything to shape or tone up…they want that ass, those thighs, that waist that black women take for granted.

But back to the women on this show. I mean damn. And Monique is trying to sell it hard. I think really the only people that will watch the show are those guys that have a fetish, and the people who are watching to say “Damn look at her fat ass".

Either way I don’t think that is the point of the show. Maybe I am wrong maybe I miss the point. I just don’t think you can force people to accept you by putting it on TV and saying shame on you for not accepting.

Now Dove, is doing some adds with regular women. The ads are real. Real women of all sizes. That is positive body imaging.

8 Comments:

  • At 10:32 AM, Blogger Serenity23 said…

    I do agree that being fat is unhealthy. However, there are lots of things we accept and do in life that aren't healthy for us, i.e. smoking, drinking, unprotected sex, a million other things. We could very well die from lots of things. What we have to do is decide what battles we want to fight. Whether our personal battle be with the Newports, the beef, or the Crown. If Monique wants to host a beauty pageant full of "fat" women, then go ahead. And for those who it ain't quite their flavor, well that's why there is Direct TV. So many other channels you can turn to.

     
  • At 11:07 AM, Blogger sj-the-infamous said…

    LMAO@"... Been around that road before. Around that road." Hilarious...

    Yanno, I thought about going to the casting call for her show when they hit the ATL. Come to find out though, I'm not considered "fat" in Monique's world -- Iz a big girl, but I'm on a workout plan so that more people will view me as a "real woman"....

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger sJea said…

    i've been mad at monique's ass since last year when she did that beyonce dance on the BET awards...because she was on there telling fat women that it's okay to be fat...

    like you said...that sh!t ain't healthy...but that's not even the real reason that i'm mad at monique...

    i'm mad at monique cause she ain't even telling the whole truth about her fatness...because the truth is...monique has enough money to make being fat look okay...the average size 24 sista running around here is shopping at cheap ass ashley stewart...and lerner XXL...lane bryant for those who don't know...while she is walking around in clothes tailor made for her fat...

    it's a whole different look...trust...

    but...i have to say...she danced her ass off at those awards last year...even if she was so out of breath afterwards she couldn't get a complete sentence out without gasping for air...

     
  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger Call 2 Arms said…

    I gotta agree with sjea, I always notice Moniques clothes. All fat women can't have their stuff made.

    I don't know why she doesn't come out with a clothing line.

    I don't think I'm in danger of being fat, most people tell me I'm small but I'm afraid to go to the gym at this point I feel like I may have a heart attack. I moved furniture Monday and thought I might need an ambulance for oxygen.

    I'm going to the Dr. next week so he can tell me if I'm okay to work out. As out of shape as I am I probably should weigh 300lbs.

     
  • At 12:39 PM, Blogger Gunner Kaufman said…

    Two things..
    a. I cant stand Monique...there is something about her that puts her on my list of peopel to "kick in the back of the neck" while shes eating.
    b. The dove ads are dynamite.....shesh!!!

     
  • At 2:10 PM, Blogger Icey said…

    I saw an ad about that Monique show and can I say Hot Mess...a BIG hot mess.

     
  • At 2:25 PM, Blogger Poetry said…

    Okay ya'll let me call like it is..those women were fat as hell but you know what this size 12 sista ain't mad. Shit for years we have prayed to the alter of super skinny no ass no tits chicks that isn't healthy either, but people keep on believing the hype. Those skinny chicks you see in the magazines are dying to be skinny they develop eating disorders, bad hearts/organs. Either end of the scale isn't good, but we only ridicule and bitch about the unhealtiness of big girls. GTFOOHWTBS. We have ALL have bought into the hype. Why is no one jumping up and down and screaming mad about the other beauty pageants. If we look at the scale as it stands most of those girls in the "normal" pageants are under their healthy weights so why don't we talk about that and what it's saying to us and our daughters? I mean I'm just saying...

     
  • At 6:05 PM, Blogger Jack Naka said…

    Help! I am lost. I was searching for beauty salon services and somehow ended up here. How that happened I don't know, however I do like your Blog a lot. Would you mind if I add your Blog to my favorites page so others can visit?

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home