Skeletons in my closet

The silent running dialogue that I often have with myself.

Friday, August 05, 2005

Well, well well I’ll be damned, I might as well tell you who I am!

When I was young, I loved comic books. My cousins introduced me to them during long summers in the country. I would spend the entire day reading and rereading the marvelous adventures of the Avengers, WonderMan, and the Uncanny X-men. I would relive the stories in my head adding characters and plot twist. That is when I first fell in love with reading.

I learned about race relations in Luke Cage Hero for Hire. A black ex-convict super hero who was determined to get paid for his power but always did the right thing at the end of the day.

I learned about tolerance and equality in the X-men. Mutants being different and all, they were shunned and exploted in society.

Thor was all about honor and and values. His brother was evil, dad was an ass but he was expected to and did give his life for all of them.

My favorite had to be the Incredible Hulk. The comic book Hulk is so different from the TV Hulk, and the Movie Hulk. The main premises is the same though, you make this simple muther f*cker mad and all hells going to break loose.

After the Hulk, I would move to SpiderMan and then the X-men. Both comics have turned into great movies. I really like Spidey-2, especially that one scene where he stops the subway train from careening off a bridge. Man I almost cried on that part. Okay maybe I did a little. Just a sign of solidarity ya-know.

Comics were and probably are still a reflection of modern day events. Comics serve as a mirror of our world with a few super heroes added to deal with heroic problems. Not just super villains, but problems that result from simple human elements.

When I would get back to the “Big City” I would ride my bike to the nearest Stop-n-Go or 7-11 and spend hours standing in air-conditioned comfort reading.

SideNote: Now all corner stores are run by them Yang-Xis or Abudul and they have a strict “U-no read yu bi” policy. Sorry I had to add that in!

I made a promise to myself that the day I became employed I would buy whatever $1.25 comic I wanted.

Switching to almost present day, I began buying comics in 1987. All different titles all different characters. I stopped in 1999 when I ran out of time and money. I couldn’t kick back and read a book I had to study. Plus the price had increased to a dramatic $3 or more. So I lost my jones for the habit.

Fast forward to present day. I bought a house. I moved all my apartment stuff over. I got a call from my mom.

“Well” she said in an open tone, suggesting that I knew her meaning.
“Well, what ma!”
“Well, come get these damn comic books out of my house!”

SideNote: I have not lived in my Parent’s house since I was 18. I was put out by my Dad…long story. But every time I moved from one apartment to another I would store all my comics back in old room at my Parent’s House. So basically I ended up with a room full of boxed sealed comic books.

No real idea on what to do with them. My daugther doesnt get it, she says they are for boys.

I just hope one day I will have a son and be able to pass on my first love affair with reading.

5 Comments:

  • At 8:44 AM, Blogger Serenity23 said…

    That was a good post. Glad you are finally giving us a sense of who you really are. I hope you get that boy.

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Blogger muffin said…

    i still don't know your name lol hey i took a break from blogging...but i'm still gonna comment! lol

    *runs away*

     
  • At 10:12 AM, Blogger Schatzi said…

    Thanks for stoppin by!

    My son is into comic books too! I really wished I would have saved mine (Yeah.. I was a tom-boy..)!

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Blogger Dee said…

    my uncle has a huge collection. He attends shows also!!! While he was away at college my grandmas basement was flooded and his collection ruined!!!! He had to start over!!! He has thousands of dollars worth!!!

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Blogger Gunner Kaufman said…

    I tell everyone, the true purpose of a male child for a man is not to have someone carry on the family name. NO its a simpler point. Its to get to re-do your childhood all over again. My son has a game room in our house. All his video games and what not. I set it up, painted and filled stuff up in the room. THe borders of the walls are vintage comics with black heros from my era. Luke Cage, Black Panther, Storm, etc, etc. Let me not leave out his shelves are filled with Spawn and Balde action figures, vintage G.I. Joes and other stuff. See the cool thing is, when I was married and stopped at toys r us, or some low key import toy store, when I got home and took out the object, I could always say to my ex, I got this for our son. Truth be told, If he touches my toys im kicking his ass!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home