Skeletons in my closet

The silent running dialogue that I often have with myself.

Friday, November 18, 2005

Life can go on!

Quick word or two.

Sorry if I am all over the place...but I feel happy today

My daughter had surgery this morning. Everything went fine. She is at home resting. No surgery is minor, especially if its your child, and I have a real issue with doctors that tell you it isn’t anything to worry about. If it was so minor she wouldn’t need surgery…right?

Well now that that large stress inducer has been taken off my back, I feel 20lbs lighter. I don’t look it I just feel it. I have got to drop about 10lbs in the gut area. But diet is out of the question. Further, I am just not disciplined enough on the exercise. I was small all my life. Thin bone structure and everything. Bout my mid to 20’s I started filling in. Now that I am in my early 30s I need to stop filling in. Some is spilling over the edges. I really think that it is harder for people who have never really had weight issues to drop pounds. The concept is foreign to us. My whole life changes from eat as much of whatever I want to…well let me eat smaller portions and watch the white starches. Dangone!

A good friend of mine lost 50lbs in like 2months. Dude is on a serious hospital recommended diet. I didn’t know he needed to drop some weight, I mean I knew dude was big but some cats are just big. He is one of those former offensive line playing bruhs. He really looks much better though. Healthier, he doesn’t look as if he might pop. Plus his clothes look like they fit better. Good for dude! Of all things he looks shorter, maybe dude had fat under his feet.

Last but not least, I was so disrespected today. Every nurse, doctor, administrative employee, and receptionist spoke to my wife in regards to my daughter’s surgery and care. Not one person addressed a comment, or question to me. They did address me when they asked for the co-pay. But I was pissed a little; we really do live in a chauvinistic society. Everyone assumed that I was just along for the ride. Shyte, I been mother, father, and friend to this little girl her whole life. It really bothered me. I mean they even brought in a bunny suit so the parent could accompany the child until she was sedated. The bunny suit was sized for my wife.
I told them, “I don’t think that will fit!”
They told me, “It’s for the parent that goes in the surgery room.”
I told them, “It doesn’t fit!”
They told me, “It’s for her mother.”
I told them, “That’s fine, but bring one for me because I am going in with my daughter!”
The looked puzzled and apologized. But c’mon.

Was it the male thing, of the black thing, or the black male thing? I get the same kinda hassle at her schools and her events. If you deal with parents please include the father as much as the mother.

Some of us are still daddies.

8 Comments:

  • At 9:37 AM, Blogger Dee said…

    i AGREE.......Good you checked them.....

    when my son was hospitalized for seizures last year my ex was overseas so my best gurlfriend was with me holding my hand the WHOLE time cause I ws a MESS!!! The nurse addressed us as "moms" Like we were a couple..so my gurl ran with it and started rubbing my thighs and back and calling me baby....she was trying to make me laugh so I would stop crying and it worked!!!!! All the staff in the Emergency Dept were calling us "moms and parents" LOL

    ONLY IN CALI!!!!!

    Glad everything went well!!!

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Blogger Icey said…

    Glad the suregery went well and you and the family are stress free!!!

    When Former SO and I would shop for cars they would always address him, even if I asked the questions! I hated that. Former So was good for saying, "You need to explain that to my wife"!

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger Butter Pecan said…

    Glad to know your daughter is doing fine. Its good to know that you checked them on that issue, even though there are some dads that are not around, you still have some dads that appreciate their kids and take care of them.

     
  • At 10:58 AM, Blogger Christine said…

    We are with a pediatrician that we love, and will follow him to the moon if we have to. Why? Because he doesn't talk to my husband like he's an idiot.

    Our first ped. literally spoke to him as if he were a five year old. My husband was like, "Geez - I'd rather you ignore me!"

     
  • At 5:45 PM, Blogger Gunner Kaufman said…

    HAppy that your daughter is okay. And its the blackdaddy thing. I get that if my ex-wife an I are together.

     
  • At 9:47 AM, Blogger sj-the-infamous said…

    And losing weight becomes exponentially more difficult this time of the year, whether you celebrate or not. There is FOOD EVERYWHERE!!

    Good news about your daughter :) Would have LOVED to see YOU in that "bunny suit" LMAO

     
  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger Closet Owner said…

    @all

    Thanks for the words on my little one. Keep you posted on the full recovery.

     
  • At 12:02 AM, Blogger souffle said…

    am a bit late but am happy for you on the daughters operation goin alright!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home