Skeletons in my closet

The silent running dialogue that I often have with myself.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

GOOD TIMES AGAIN

It finally happened. I saw a new episode of Good Times

I was watching TVONE this weekend.

SideNote:
For those of you who don’t know, TVONE is a new or one of the newer black televisions stations. I have been watching this joint sense it came on the Direct TV programming schedule. I really do try to support all thing African American/black, so I spend at least one hour of the day with my TV tuned to this station. No, I am not a Neilson family but man you never know if big brother is watching.

When TVONE first came on it had really some bare bones programming. They started with some black design chic show. They usually ran two shows back to back. Then they had a cooking show with this black guy, G.Garvin, who looks like LL COOL J. Then the next 4 hours would be Living It Up with Patti LaBelle, a show featuring her talking and cooking and hanging with her girls.
SideNote:
I have never heard more babies, and chiles’ in all my life.
Lastly around prime time they would show some ole school black movie. Not the good ones but the really low budget old flicks. But it was black so I watched it.

Luckily the Station is getting more dollars and the programming is improving. They got Martin, Apollo, and Good Times reruns. Better black movies. Tabloid shows like Access TVONE. Plus they still run that home girl show with Patti LaBelle. They even have two long forgotten black shows Amen and 227! The station declared that they would access a market that Bet neglected, the adult Black television market. I watched that channel all weekend and I did not see one Video, or rap interview. Thank God we are about more than just the Minstrel Show!

But back to the point of this whole discussion, I ran up on a Good Times episode that I had never seen before! Or at least it wasn’t very familiar. I was dumbfounded. I have often prided myself on having seen every episode of Good Times at least 10 times. When I was young that was the only black programming we had outside of Video Soul. So my sister and I watched Good Times when we got home from school, and when we went to bed at night. I had a nice 13inch black and white TV in my bedroom, and I drifted off to sleep many nights listening to the dulcet tones of “Not Getting Hassled not getting Hustled.”

But this episode was new to me. Some of the storyline seemed vaguely familiar but it never matched up. See Willona didn’t want to go to a wedding because she was single and didn’t feel like getting hassled. James warned Florida about trying to be a match maker and we all know Florida was determined to hook her good friend up. I guess it is obvious as to why the story was not one of the Classics like JJ getting shot, or Michael on that VitaBlue, or even Thelma and and number of her BoyFriends (Ebea (sp) comes to mind. But I didn’t get to watch the end so I don’t know how it ended and it has bothered me to no end.

First off, why doesn’t Good Times have a web site? What kinda shyte is that? That show beyond all others is a cultural icon. Many brothers grew up into puberty with Thelma. (When I was young Thelma just pissed me off for f@cking with JJ, but as I got older she became very useful…) We learned about Black Power and the proper purpose of education from Michel. We learned about hard work, perseverance and pride from James. We picked up strong womanhood and faith in God from Florida. We didn’t really learn shyte from JJ, he was truly comic relief, but he did love his family. So I think that Good Times deserves a website. I will even go further. Good Times needs a reunion show. Damn could you imagine the profit a show like that would derive? Everyone in America has watched Good Times at some time or another. The damn show is on somewhere in the world every hour of the day. We need a reunion show just to get some closure.
What do yall think the whole Good Times gang is up to? Is Micheal a mayor, is JJ a famous artist, what do you think?

PS
Does anyone know how that episode with Willona ended?

4 Comments:

  • At 11:34 AM, Blogger Dee said…

    well i'll be dammed!! I thought I had seen all the episodes!!!! I don't remember that one either.....I think we all grew up on goodtimes.......when I was little I thought I would see them doing the show but I didn't realize that it was not really done in the projects(yeah I grew up in the projects accross the street) Thanks mamma for clearing that up..LOL

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger That Girl Tam said…

    I didn't find out about TVone til recently...I've only watched it once I think. I don't really get to watch much TV. I LOVED Good Times! What ever happened to the guy that played Michael? He like fell off the face of the earth! What about "That's My Mama" I used to like that show when I was little...I remember telling my mom that I thought Clifton Davis looked like my daddy...I think that's why I liked the show so much.

    LMAO @ Dee..."thanks mamma for clearing that up!"

     
  • At 9:15 AM, Blogger Dawud said…

    not sure if you are talking abou the same episode but the cat she hooks Willona up with is deaf. If it is that one she goes out with him a few times and thinking he is getting serious and she is worried about breaking up with him cause of his handicap...i think this is the one you are talking about

    Nas Dawud

     
  • At 5:58 PM, Blogger Sepiatonz said…

    @ Dawud, that's a different episode. This one ended where a bunch of the ole gang went out to dinner before the wedding and Willona left early b/c as James put it, "Florida was real obvious in trying to hook her up with John (or some name)". Anyway, as it turns out, both she and John left early and secrectly hooked up for drinks after and started dating but not before she pulled Florida in the room and lectured her on not feeling sorry for her for being single, etc.

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home